Getech Group hires first in-house lawyer
Florit Legal has been exclusively retained on a project to hire a first in-house lawyer for Getech Group, a Yorkshire based AIM-listed PLC operating at the heart of the UK’s drive towards decarbonisation.
Getech is a leader in the world of natural resource location.
The company is a specialist geoscience and geospatial technology enterprise providing support and knowledge to help companies and governments locate, develop and manage energy assets and natural resources better and to assist in the delivery of a successful energy transition to a net-zero economy.
The company’s data-rich products, earth science expertise, geospatial solutions and government advisory services help customers achieve their goals of cost control, operational excellence, regulatory compliance and environmental responsibility.
Getech uses extensive geoscience, geotechnical and geospatial technology, and skills to locate sustainable energy resources, de-risk and optimise development and long-term economic production.
The focus is on scalable projects that can deliver meaningful impact across industries including oil and gas, mining of battery metals, geothermal, green and blue hydrogen, and smart cities.
Owing to the group’s continued expansion, Getech has created an attractive opportunity for a solicitor to join the company as its first in-house lawyer.
Based at the company’s headquarters, close to Roundhay Park in Leeds, the appointee will play a key role in all legal matters affecting the Group’s operations.
Activities are likely to include reviewing, drafting and advising on a wide variety of contracts including IT licence and support agreements, construction and engineering contracts, SPV documentation, leases and any other real estate related matters.
As in-house counsel, the appointee will also review, draft and advise on standard terms and conditions of purchase of goods and services, manage any disputes that arise and support M&A activity. There may also be the opportunity to be involved in company secretarial work including regulatory compliance.
The ideal candidate will be a UK qualified solicitor with at least 4 years practical experience of English law looking for his or her first in-house legal role.
Owing to the nature of the business and broad range of responsibilities on offer, this is a role which could suit a broad range of individuals from different specialisms which include commercial contracts, construction and engineering and commercial projects.
Broad knowledge and experience of contracts is a key requirement, and since such knowledge tends to be portable from one industry to another, you should expect a learning curve to be presented by both the industry (unless you are currently working for a similar company) and other legal practice areas.
To succeed, the appointee will be someone who:
- Brings the versatility to the role, coupled with a desire and ability to enjoy a wide variety of legal issues.
- Demonstrates commercial awareness and ability to prioritise between matters of varying levels of operational and/or strategic importance.
- Develops strong and productive relationships with colleagues and external third parties including suppliers and regulatory bodies.
- Has a proven level of technical legal ability blended with commerciality, proactivity and the ability to anticipate and respond appropriately to any changes in legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Is an effective communicator with the ability to articulate themselves clearly and be understood by members of the board and senior managers.
Key Attractions of the Role
- Growth: Recent funding is fuelling significant new revenue streams.
- Responsibility: the relatively small size of Getech means high levels of responsibility, visibility, and inclusion and you will find yourself engaging regularly with the senior management team.
- Variety: the fact that this is a sole legal advisor role means you will have a genuine variety of legal, issues to advise upon and, for some, the opportunity to diversify and develop your legal skills into new areas of practice.
- Busy sector: Getech is enabling the UK economy’s transition to decarbonisation and the pursuance of the ESG agenda of third party businesses.
- Hybrid working: It’s anticipated that you would spend 2 days in the office each week and working remotely for the remainder, some of which may be in locations other than Leeds. Potential for 4-days per week.
For a confidential discussion about this role please get in touch with Andy Balmer.
For more information on the company and the exciting opportunities to come, watch the videos below. The first is an overview of one of Getech’s recently publicised projects – the Green Enery Hub at Shoreham Port. The second is a more detailed presentation to investors from November 2021
Please subscribe to our mailing list for more in-house legal recruitment market insights.